MindPharm is partnering with a large, diversified BioPharmaceutical company to identify leadership for the Biology Department and Oncology portfolio.
The Department Head will lead several biology teams in support of small-molecule drug discovery and will set strategy to achieve biology goals for multiple candidate-directed programs. The individual will be a member of the therapeutic area leadership team which is primarily responsible for portfolio advancement.
Department leadership responsibilities will include;
- coordinating resources across programs,
- identifying and filling gaps in technology and/or capacity,
- sourcing and overseeing external resources, and
- identifying and applying new technologies.
The Department Head will line-manage leaders and their teams and foster scientific and professional development of staff. The individual will ensure scientific excellence and the use of best practices across teams. A scientific leader and therapeutic area biology expert with a proven track record of delivering high-value clinical candidates, the individual will share responsibility for the overall therapeutic area strategy, the delivery of clinical candidates and other top-level goals.
Scope and Responsibilities:
As the department you are leading is responsible for:
- Portfolio advancement including
- Development of quantitative molecular and cellular assays for compound characterization, and advising project teams on the interpretation of quantitative in vitro data in the context of Hit to Lead and Lead Optimization to enable project advancement into clinical development
- Adaptation of in vitro target engagement assays to in vivo settings in order to permit target validation with intervention studies
- Developing and implementing translational medicine strategies including patient stratification and selection of optimal drug combinations
- Setting therapeutic area strategy as a member of the leadership team
- Directing and coordinating biology resources across programs
- Identifying and reducing gaps in technology and capabilities to accelerate lead optimization and mechanism of action studies
- Identifying, establishing and maintaining external resources to supplement internal resource activities
- Establishing innovative research concepts and proposals to management
- Implementing productive interactions with consultants and collaborators
- Working closely with the Early Lead Discovery organization to coordinate the transition of new target programs to Late Discovery
- Representing Therapeutic Area and working with Early Lead Discovery on new targets committee to ensure successful transition of new targets to HtL and LO
- Vetting target opportunities and aligning them with the areas of focus
- Reallocating biology resources to ensure streamlined transition to Project Directors for HtL / LO activities
- Typically manages several groups (directly or indirectly) comprising 15-30 scientists which include PhDs and research professionals.
- Manages leaders and their teams by fostering scientific excellence and best practices. Appropriately delegates and prioritizes strategy and tactics with direct reports
- Identifies, recruits and develops key talent. Acts as a mentor to direct reports and other high potential employees. Creates a stimulating and innovative work environment that attracts, retains and develops top talent. Ensures that employees are developed to their full potential and assists them in identifying appropriate development opportunities within the organization.
- Able to address a variety of challenging employee relations situations, including but not limited to performance problems, integrity issues, teamwork difficulties, etc.
- Ensures that personal and employee skills are continuously updated and modified to address business developments and opportunities and ensures that an appropriate succession plan exists for critical positions in his/her organization.
- Represents function internally and externally (scientific meetings, advisory boards, expert panels etc.)
- Responsible for Departmental Budget
For consideration please contact;